Old church, new church...

During summer vacations I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house in Gallos Petri. It is a very small village with Romanians and Hungarians. I loved going to church with my grandparents and church was a very important place in my grandparents life. So, when I heard that the little old church was in ruins and that the owner of the land wanted to build a house in the place of the church I knew that I had to do something! My uncle used to be the pastor at the church ( he is now retired but still goes out to visit and perform various church duties) and I asked him how could we be of best help. He said that financial assistance was very needed so Drew and I decided that a part of our Tithe would go to help the congregation buy another lot and build a new building. After many months (years) the church building was finally finished!

On this trip we went back to the village and we got to see the new building that was opened last year! It is a very nice church building!!! I am glad that the congregation has a new place to grow and to worship!

This picture is part of the old church building... right next to it is the new house that was being built.



My uncle Alexander and his wife Maria Bodor.


The Bennett's.


This is the front of the house where my grandparents used to live. My second cousin bought it and lives there with his family. Lot of childhood memories are tied to that house and village!!!


Andrew saw a buggy with horse and started running after it!


Drew had to run after him to bring him back.



We are on our way to find the old water fountain where my dad and I used to go to get fresh water after getting to my grandparents to visit. Those trips were always fun and a special time for me and my dad.


Andrew and his third cousin Roberta walking down the dirt road...


...he needs a big sister to take care of him.
Inside the new church building.


Going up the steps to the balcony.

The view from the balcony.

The baptismal was hand painted by the old preacher that I used to listen to back home in Nagyvarad. He was the preacher in the church where I grew up.

My aunt, uncle, Roberta, Rebeca, Drew , Marta and Andrew.

The SS class that is in the back of the church. The kids are ready for a lesson!

Walking down the side of the church.


The front of the church.
Since the village is so small there is no separate building for the Hungarians and the Romanians, the church is mixed.


Comments

benneaf said…
When we went on the walk to find the fountain we also found that we were near a natural gas refinery...at least I think that is what it was. There was an overflow pond that was full of oil. That's right a pond of oil.